Thursday 28 November 2013

STEADMAN/ GROSZ

The two artists I was really thinking of when making this piece, as with my research project material, were Ralph Steadman and George Grosz.

In particular, Steadman's collage work for Will Self's Psychogeography columns (the Independent) and books, which are more fantastic than these rather rubbish small jpegs off google. One of his best 'tricks' is taking a photo and blending it into his drawing, using it as a reference and continuing the scene in paint, collage and line. One can see where the photo starts, but it all ends rather differently. I find the technique strikingly effective:




This is just a picture of Will Self, because I think he's great:


I was also thinking of emulating some kind of the spirit and the mad disjointed structure of Grosz's drawings and paintings of urban life, with elements of futurism, cubism, traditional satirical drawn caricature, social juxtapositions, signs and symbols:




Later, it was suggested I look also at the work of Saul Steinberg, another who has used elements of collage in a dada fashion to create surreal works of graphic satire. Which I certainly shall do:




No comments:

Post a Comment